Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Complete Circle

I John 1:3-4
3We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ. 4We write this to make our joy complete.

Daddy Sang Bass by Johnny Cash
… singing seems to help a troubled soul.
One of these days and it won't be long,
I'll rejoin them in a song.
I'm gonna join the family circle at the Throne.
Oh, no the circle won't be broken.
By and by, Lord, by and by.

How can I proclaim what I have seen and heard?  And why should I?  For Johnny Cash, singing was his way to help his troubled soul.  In using the talent God gave him, Johnny has blessed many of us.  I don’t have the musical talent that Johnny had, so I have to use what I do have.  I am honored that David has asked and allowed me to write these morning devotions several times over the last year or so.  I am also very blessed because of it.  As I study the scripture and the lesson, it encourages me to spend time with God.   It helps me bond with my closest Christian brothers as I share my ideas with them and get their perspectives.  It causes me to share intimately with my wife, as she is my most trusted critic.  All of that fellowship is ultimately with Him and I receive such a blessing as I am writing. 

Is your circle complete?  My parents have gone on, but I am blessed to still have my in-laws.  My much much much older brother is daily becoming a better friend.  Tracy and I are still best friends after all these years, and we worry together about our children and pray for friends and coworkers who are not Christian.  Our little circle never stops growing.

I heard a story a couple of weeks ago that a pilot told.  She said that a rainbow from the pilot’s seat is a colorful circle, and that the shadow of the plane is always in the center of that circle no matter how high or fast she flies.  I think that’s a great picture of God’s love for us.  He lovingly encircles us, no matter what we do.

Do we proclaim what we have seen and heard so that others may benefit?  Do we share the fellowship we have with our heavenly father with those who may not have experienced it?  Do we try and make sure our circle is complete?

No comments:

Post a Comment