Saturday, July 9, 2011

Caleb - Layman

Topic:               Layman

Scripture:          Jeremiah 13: 6, Joshua 14:13
from the tribe of Judah, Caleb son of Jephunneh;
Then Joshua blessed Caleb son of Jephunneh and gave him Hebron as his inheritance. So Hebron has belonged to Caleb son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite ever since.

Devotion

The “L” characteristics/traits I came up with for our hero of the week include Layman, Leader, Leaning (on God), Limited, Looking beyond, and Loyal and there are bound to be more. 
I chose “Layman” to think about today. 

C –  Conflicting
A –  Available
L –  Layman
E –
B –

When I was in high school, I thought about being a full time youth minister.  I talked to my favorite uncle about it, and his advice has served me well to this day.  He said, if I was really called to full time ministry, I would never be happy or successful in any other vocation.  But he also said I was pretty young to determine that, and he suggested I go to college and get a degree that I could use to support myself and my family, and God would show me how He wanted to use my life.  I started in engineering, and never really looked back.  As I have grown and have been honored to know several full time ministers in a close and personal way, I have also been given the opportunity to serve my God in many ways.  One day, I realized what Uncle Hubert was saying to me – God needs laymen (and women) too.  In church pews.  In volunteer organizations.  At the office.  In neighborhoods. 

Did you notice that Caleb was from the tribe of Judah?  (And he was given the choicest parcel of land after the 40 years in the wilderness.)  It got me to thinking – he was not a priest or formal church leader.  The children of Levi (the Levites) were the spiritual leaders, and they were not even given land.  The other tribes were to support them.  Today, the “church” typically provides a minister a salary, but there are so many other ways a minister needs support.  Moses needed someone to investigate the promised land and stand up for what God revealed to him.  What does God and our church staff need from the laity today?  Our pastor may need someone to pray for him.  He may need someone to buy him a cup of coffee and ask how he’s doing.  He may need someone to do a task. 

Are we prepared and ready to be the lay leaders God calls us to be?  Do we serve our God, our church, and our community and our ministers as wholeheartedly as Caleb did? If we do, He will reward us.


No comments:

Post a Comment