Sunday, August 19, 2012

Lesson 10 – Failing to be Generous Q3 – 21012 Matthew 25: 31-46

Lesson 10 – Failing to be Generous Q3 – 21012 Matthew 25: 31-46

Monday
I was hungry and you fed me,
I was thirsty and you gave me a drink,

It was about 20 years ago a small and relatively new church decided to do missions one year in an up close and personal way. It wasn't just a check they were after, but it was to teach members what missions was. Each of the church staff selected a ministry need and developed a project around it that resulted in church members DOING missions. I'm embarrassed to say that I don't remember all the projects, but I remember Loaves and Fishes.

It was fun meeting at church and riding downtown to one of the areas tourists avoid and sharing fellowship in the small crowded kitchen as we prepared food. I worked on the salad tearing heads of lettuce into small pieces and filling a large bowl. Soon however it became a more serious business as we moved to serve a meal to homeless people. They lined up quietly; most avoiding eye contact. And to my surprise, it wasn't just men. Women, and even children queued up. These were people just like me and my family, who by misfortune or poor decisions found themselves in a situation of need that no parent would ever envision for their child.

It was a sobering honor to serve these people a meal and realize the rich blessing I have and catch a glimpse of how I look to my Savior. In a situation I really cannot control with so little to offer and so deep a need.

I still pray for this ministry, and I can never look at the homeless the same way.

I understand a little bit of what Jesus means when He says feeding them is like feeding Him, but the blessings I received from giving so little has blessed me so much. I pray each of you will have an experience some day where you see yourself as needy as we would be without Jesus.


Tuesday
I was homeless and you gave me a room,

I was 23, and just out of college knowing so much more than I do now. But I was almost 1,000 miles from home and separated from my wife and heading towards a divorce. Houston was a huge place compared to my home in Tennessee, and I felt like I didn't know anybody. I slipped into the closest Baptist church and somehow met John. He was an old guy of maybe 40 who was married, had two high school aged daughters and he needed help leading RAs. In being drafted into that service, I gained a family. Before long I was spending time at his home regularly. Sometimes planning for next Wednesday; sometimes tutoring algebra; sometimes changing a ceiling fan; sometimes watching football; and sometimes not doing anything; and it was nice. God greatly blessed me through John and Julie, Melanie and Michelle.

I challenge you to be aware of those around you. At church, work, school, Rotary, home owners associations, and anywhere else you go. There are people all around us that need that home feel that only other like minded people can provide. I know there are some at my church.


Wednesday
I was shivering and you gave me clothes,

When we moved to Indiana, one thing I looked forward to was the seasons. Growing up in east Tennessee, I had experienced all four and knew the differences. My Texan family didn't know what they were getting into.

I came home from work one glorious fall afternoon the first year. Blue skies and crisp 50 something degrees. Sun roof open, and singing with the radio, i was surprised to enter the house and find my bride curled up on the couch with a sweatsuit on and a blanket wrapped around her. She welcomed me home by saying "I don't like these Indiana winters at all". My immediate thought was you really won't like January (and we did see 6 below that winter too). We are fortunate in that we turned up the heat and bought appropriate clothes (including shoes with toes for Tracy) and we've adapted pretty well.

But not all are in a position to adapt as well as we did. I have noticed in general fewer homeless people here than I used to see in Houston. Initially I assumed it was due to a combination of things like fewer job opportunities to draw the hopeful, coupled with an atmosphere where it's easier to care for others in a small community. But I think it's also those "Indiana winters".

I don't have an example of sharing with a shivering person, but I pray this lesson will lead to increased awareness of others and action this year to help someone who I may have previously ignored. I hope someone reading this joins me in this quest.

Thursday
I was sick and you stopped to visit,

Sitting in an oncology center with 20 or more strangers going through some form of cancer treatment, you realize one constant in the human condition. None of us have control. Some have a faith anchor and loving family surrounding them, and some even appear to be healthy. But some are alone – in more ways than one. After spending four weeks over four months with Tracy as doctors and nurses worked diligently to drive her leukemia away, I realized what a blessing it was to speak to those in treatment around us. To hear their stories, see some fear, reassure some, and be reassured by others, and realize how fortunate we are, but knowing my face is showing them the same concerns and worries that they are feeling in times like these.

I challenge you today and into the future to be aware of the health challenges your friends, neighbors and acquaintances are facing. Make the time to go and see them, to be with them as they undergo treatment. Don't leave them to unknown strangers to share their journey. They may need you to remind them of the faith they have, or give them a hope to lean on. You make a difference when you give yourself.


Friday
I was in prison and you came to me.

The boy, now a man, had made mistakes. He had made poor choices in friends and in his studies. He made the same choices some very successful people have made in regards to drinking, smoking and youthful experimentation with illegal substances. But his experimentation became a habit, and he was caught. He managed to get probation, but didn't keep up his part of the deal and ended up surrendering several months of his life to the county jail. And every week his mother made the trek to see him. No one else on earth was as committed to staying with the young man – to striving to encourage him and set him on the right path.

This young man could be most any one of the first offenders or regular guests in a county jail by you. And I have not gone to visit him (or his parents, for they are also in a prison by their own son's making.)

God calls us to care for those in prison, but I don't know if I can be that minister. Can you?




Sent from Jim's iPad.
DISCLAIMER:
+++The information transmitted is intended only for designated recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and do not retain but destroy any copies of this document.+++.

No comments:

Post a Comment