Saturday, November 7, 2009

Jesus Embodies Restoration


In Matthew 11:3 John the Baptist asks of Jesus “Are you the Messiah?"

   1When Jesus finished placing this charge before his twelve disciples, he went on to teach and preach in their villages.
 2-3John, meanwhile, had been locked up in prison. When he got wind of what Jesus was doing, he sent his own disciples to ask, "Are you the One we've been expecting, or are we still waiting?" 4-6Jesus told them, "Go back and tell John what's going on:

   The blind see,
   The lame walk,
   Lepers are cleansed,
   The deaf hear,
   The dead are raised,
   The wretched of the earth learn that God is on their side.
"Is this what you were expecting? Then count yourselves most blessed!"  (Matthew 11:1-6, The Message)


Do you ever doubt?  I sure do.  When I spent six months looking for a job a few years ago, I wondered where God was.  I have a friend today who is unable to work because of her cancer treatments.  I remember my friend Bryan dying with a young family almost nine years ago.  In raising my children – well, I know you parents relate to that.  Today as my family struggles to find a church like Williams Trace after leaving Sugar Land over five years ago, I often doubt that God will provide us with another church family like that one. 

Then I see in this scripture that Jesus responded to the one who had baptized him with understanding.  His response can be paraphrased “See the things I have done” – then He reiterates them just in case we can’t remember.  For each of my doubts above, I have many more examples of blessings and confirmations of His love and care. 

How about it - Is your glass half empty today, or overflowing?   If you need reminded, just ask Him – He doesn’t mind, and He has abundant answers


No comments:

Post a Comment