Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Twenties

Psalm 16: 7-11 NLT
 7 I will bless the Lord who guides me; even at night my heart instructs me.
 8 I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.
 9 No wonder my heart is glad, and I rejoice. My body rests in safety.
 10 For you will not leave my soul among the dead or allow your holy one to rot in the grave.
 11 You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever.

The decade of my twenties was a bit tumultuous.  I got married at twenty and finished college. I took a job in Houston and left Knoxville moving 950 miles from home.  We left a lot behind:  family, friends, church, and even my Tennessee twang (really - it used to be worse).   We struggled to make new friends as I worked too hard and left her alone too much.  We slept in on Sundays and made few common friends.  Eventually we divorced, and I looked for solace the only place I knew – the local church.  And I made more good friends – Dennis, Chuck, Linda, Bobby and others that I still love and stay in touch with.  I got to teach youth Sunday school and be part of some young lives.   I got to hold the guys back so the girls could get to the food at the fellowships.  I got asked “How far is too far?” every year.  I got to take high school guys to see wrestling matches (and while some think the action in the ring is scripted, I assure the fights among the crowd members is not).  We played softball and racquetball and I developed a real appreciation for Mexican food!.  It has been a blessing to reconnect with many of these youth with facebook and see how our Lord is using these “youth” in His service.  Gregg, Brian, Deanna, and Clay to name a few. 

And in the storms of the unpardonable sin of divorce and being nearly a thousand miles from home, He reached out to me. 
8 I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.
I experienced Jesus always with me; right beside me.  I felt shaken, but He held me securely in His hand.  I began to comprehend the difference in happiness and joy.  Happiness was situation based and uncontrollable.  Joy from Christ is indwelling and sustaining.  I can choose to be joyful, no matter my situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment