Saturday, February 26, 2011

Experience

John 4: 39-42
Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman’s testimony, “He told me everything I ever did.” So when the Samaritans came to him, they urged him to stay with them, and he stayed two days. And because of his words many more became believers.
They said to the woman, “We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world.”

My 15-year-old daughter now has her learner’s permit.  She has been riding with me since the trip home from the hospital when she was about 26 hours old.  She’s seen me and others drive many miles, in two countries and who knows how many states under all kinds of weather and traffic conditions day and night at varying levels of legality (I have been guilty of speeding at times, and probably tailgating once or twice).  I have talked way more than she has listened on the proper ways to drive and all the things that go with that (rolling stops vs. REAL stops, look in the blind spots before changing lanes, you have to look in your mirrors, you don’t need to change the radio right now, etc.). 

She is doing a great job as a novice driver, and I’m proud of her, but the more time I spend as her designated rider, the more I see her learn things for herself.  It’s OK for the wheel to return to straight by itself.  Brakes can be pushed lightly, coasting to slow down works and so on.  I have realized that no matter how much I tell her or show her, she has to learn some things herself. 

In our scripture today, the woman told her friends, but they had to hear for themselves.  They had to have the personal experience, and all the words and examples of others pales in comparison.  Same for Haley.  She is going to be a great driver.  She already knows what muscle cars are.

I close with our last “Don’t” from John 4:  Don’t just trust others when you can experience God your self.  Are you trying daily to add to your experiences with God?

No comments:

Post a Comment