Saturday, February 19, 2011

Sharing

John 4:28-30
Then, leaving her water jar, the woman went back to the town and said to the people, “Come, see a man who told me everything I ever did. Could this be the Messiah?”  They came out of the town and made their way toward him.

I have a best friend who was with me during some very difficult times in my life.  Dennis was the youth director who first gave me a chance to work with youth, to lead others, and to write and teach.  He’s only a couple of years older than I am and I was one of the first calls on January 14th 1984 when his first daughter was born.  I watched the last M*A*S*H episode at his house.  His two year old daughter used to ride to lunch with me after church on Sundays (making some of the youth sit in the back!)  In 1988, he moved from Houston to the Dallas area and our time together was reduced.  Our friendship was not.  I discovered recently that his position is being eliminated and he will be seeking a new job for what is probably the first time since he was in college.  I went through something similar about five years ago and spent six months looking for a job and asking God why He was allowing this.  I came out with a great job, a solid respect for God’s hand on my family and me, and the knowledge that I don’t have to understand everything God does or allows to happen.  How is this related to our scripture?  Our “daily don’t” today is Don’t be afraid to share what you have experienced.”  The woman in our story told her friends about Jesus.  I  plan to ask God to use me when I call Dennis and share my experiences. 

God allows us to experience things to help the body of believers, and our role is to share.   It can be evangelism like in our verses or to meet a difference need we see.  Do you have an opportunity to share your experiences and help another? 

No comments:

Post a Comment