Saturday, January 16, 2010

Fish where the boat is

Once when he was standing on the shore of Lake Gennesaret (the Sea of Galilee), the crowd was pushing in on him to better hear the Word of God. He noticed two boats tied up. The fishermen had just left them and were out scrubbing their nets. He climbed into the boat that was Simon's and asked him to put out a little from the shore. Sitting there, using the boat for a pulpit, he taught the crowd. (V1- 3 The Message)

Jesus was seaside in a bustling business area.  He could have been anywhere, but He chose this location.  People reacted to His presence and crowded around to hear Him speak.  Some might say “coincidently” Jesus was there and surprisingly crossed paths with a friend who happened to have a boat.  (Jesus and Simon had already spent time together in Luke 4:38-39.)  When the crowd overwhelmed the facilities on the shore, Jesus called to Simon saying something like, “Hey Simon, I need your boat and a good captain – can you suggest one?” and I can almost hear Simon replying “I only know one good captain, but I think I can convince him to help you.  He’s certainly not cleaning any fish right now.”  Because His friend Simon was there, Jesus had ready use of a boat.  No miracle needed – no new relationship to form. 

We need to be aware of and use the things God has already provided us.  We don’t always need divine intervention to accomplish His will.  I love the way the Message version describes our Lord sitting there using the boat for a pulpit.  Makes me want to ask myself:  Am I open and willing to use my home as a pulpit?  My office?  My lunch hour?  My motorcycle rides?  The pens I make?  My vacations?  My ______________?  (Fill in your own blank)

No comments:

Post a Comment