Saturday, January 2, 2010

Do you have “faith but”?

As I was driving home the other day wondering what God was going to share with us through this devotion series, a preacher came on the radio.  Having Christian radio on in the car isn’t unusual for me, but it was about 11:00 and I’m not usually on the road at that time.  He was speaking on faith.

What caught my attention was when he stated that too many of us have “faith, but…”  As in:
  • I believe God can do miracles, but they were all in the past. 
  • I believe God wants us to do our best to be pure, but little sins aren’t a big deal.
  • I believe in helping the poor, but I don’t have time. 
Anything we use to qualify our faith detracts from that faith and limits it.  Whether it’s a “faith but” or a “faith and” (as in faith and works) it is basically our way of either making excuses for God not doing our will, or hedging our bets to allow us to not truly believe.  Galatians 3 teaches us that faith is the only route to God.  Not “faith and” and certainly not “faith but”. 

What are we adding to faith that actually limits our ability to accept God’s plan and grow closer to Him? 

No comments:

Post a Comment