Saturday, January 30, 2010

Fish with a friend

Luke 5:4-7 (New Living Translation)
When (Jesus) had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Now go out where it is deeper, and let down your nets to catch some fish.”  “Master,” Simon replied, “we worked hard all last night and didn’t catch a thing. But if you say so, I’ll let the nets down again.” And this time their nets were so full of fish they began to tear!  A shout for help brought their partners in the other boat, and soon both boats were filled with fish and on the verge of sinking.


Do you ever feel that once you’re a Christian, everything should be smooth sailing?  Me too.  And when the difficult times come, I usually have to remind myself that this life is temporary and that God uses hard things to teach us.  In our scripture today, Simon was doing exactly what Jesus told him to do.  Push out deeper, and drop your nets.  Well within the comfort zone for a professional fisherman.  But when the nets were filled beyond their capacity and begin to tear as the boats approach the point of sinking, what’s a fisherman to do?  In our scripture, Simon’s friends were close by and came quickly to his aid.  They were rewarded by an astounding catch that I’m sure blessed all the fishermen, their friends, family, and customers. 

I can’t be a Sprit filled Christian alone.  I need to have someone close to me.  Someone I can admit my deficiencies, failures, and doubts to.  God has always provided me with someone who is ready, willing and able to help me.  Is your load too heavy for you to bear alone today, even if you are right in the middle of God’s will?  What are you going to do about it?  Do you have friends you can truly depend on?  Are you willing to expose yourself to them?  And are you alert to hear your friends when they whisper a request for you to help them? 

No comments:

Post a Comment